Friday, June 25, 2010

Now What?

I was on the right track... the road to success! I went to college, graduated with a Bachelors in Business Administration, got married to the man of my dreams a short 4 months after graduating, moved into our own apartment in Orange County, set up house, and began my search for a job. I started learning to cook- something that was quite daunting because I always imagined my husband being the cook- unfortunately Jordan can make 2 things: grilled cheese and spaghettios (although I only had one further to my culinary abilities- pancakes). I clean toilets, counters, I dust and vacuum and make the bed and do laundry- I am well on my way to being a truly domestic housewife- which I also never thought would happen, but here I am all domesticated and finding myself in love with the kitchen... although I've only mastered a few dishes- I'm sure with time I'll have nearly a cookbook full of spectacular dishes that everyone begs me to make! I'm doing all the things I never did (cooking and cleaning) and never thought I would be doing, but ironically I love it! 


However, graduation was a year ago. I've still not found a job- even the university who GAVE me my business degree won't hire me. I cannot for the life of me figure out why- I'm smart, professional, well dressed, adequately attractive, easy to talk to, and honestly very good with people. So what's the deal here? I'll tell you what the deal is. Experience. Everyone is out there looking for the same exact job as me, but what they've got is real working experience- while I was planning class events and working on the yearbook at my university all my competitors were in the workplace- getting all experienced and career-driven. pshhhhhh... I tell you what though, I'm gonna find something. It's gonna be something I love and love to go to every day. And they'll be glad they hired me as opposed to someone with experience that they're underpaying- because when the economy picks up, those people will peace out and go looking for something they're not overqualified and underpaid for- I'll still be there.


SO while I look for a job, I cook, shop, hang out with friends, do contract jobs as a graphic designer and video editor, and sing in the shower.

1 comment:

  1. haha I love the "sad, sad unemployment" line in your description!

    ReplyDelete